Thursday, November 29, 2012

REFLECTION

                                              photo credit: SonOfJordan via photopin cc
          In the short period of time I spent taking English 101 I have learned more about writing than I ever expected to. I assumed, like most freshmen do, that I would write several really long papers about subjects that didn`t matter to me and after they were graded they would look like a homicide crime scene. This class has been different than anything I ever expected. First of all, I learned what a blog was and how to create and publish my own which I thought was very cool from the beginning. Then I learned how to write for a much broader audience than I ever had before. One of the most important things to me was that I truly learned things about a subject that I had never given any thought before and I was able to give my own opinions instead of everyone else`s. It made me feel like what I was doing had a real meaning and was more than just an assignment. 
          
          In my post, College: Good or Bad , I discussed whether or not college was really all that everyone had promised. I was able to share many different viewpoints from a variety of sources and along with my own opinion. I feel I had a good mix of voices and that it gave the readers a thorough knowledge base about my topic. I also learned how to choose an image that not only added to the post but caught the reader`s attention and cite it properly. One of my favorite sentences from this post was, "There is no downside to college as long as you don`t miss out on it because you`re too busy rushing toward the end of it." I believe this statement summed up my thoughts really well and was a really good end to my post.
                                  photo credit: mezone via photopin cc                                           
          My absolute favorite blog post of the semester was,"I Don`t Follow, I Lead"! This is the post where I really found my voice. I had a very strong opinion about my topic and I feel like everyone who read it could tell how much I cared. While I was planning this post was when I realized exactly why I was here even though the odds are against me. 
"My goal, and I`m sure some of yours too, is to be a part of that future. I am getting an education, not so I can sit on the sidelines and wait until the game is won, but so that four years from now I can hit the ground running and be a player in this new world that is developing around us. I`m not just going to be a part of the future, I`m going to build it. That`s why I am in college, so I can have a foundation for my dreams. So my point to all of you is this: no, not everyone has a happy ending, but you can be that one in a million."
                                              photo credit: AlicePopkorn via photopin cc                                           This is one post that I am very proud to let anyone read because I feel that it was my absolute best.
          
          The last post I would like to discuss is,"Is College a Scam?" This was my revision post and I am very happy I chose this one. The first time I attempted to write about this topic I got very lost. The last half of it really didn`t even have anything to do with the topic. I did a very good job of going back and making my revision much more focused even though I used many of the same sources. I also discovered the topic of my capstone project in this post.
"Colleges don`t teach anything based on trial and error. There is only one right answer and one chance to get it. College students need hands on learning so they can see how the things they learn apply to real life. Colleges have their downfalls but they are a vital part of society, they just need to be reworked in order to keep up with the needs of their students."          
          
          Overall I feel my writing has developed a lot over the course of the semester and I am very happy that I chose the class that did. I don`t think my experience with English 101 would have been the same if I had been in any other. I am much more confident in my ability to write for an audience and really express my own thoughts. This class has proved to be more beneficial than I ever could have imagined.


No comments:

Post a Comment